Americans apply 75 million pounds of lawn care products annually. There is NO safe ‘chemical’ pesticide or herbicide for use on your lawn and around your home.
Many of these are proven carcinogens
Are hormone and endocrine system disruptors
- Can be passed from pregnant mother to fetus causing birth defects, miscarriage or stillbirth.
- Cause allergic reactions
- Children are especially susceptible to neurological damage, increased rates of cancer, ADD, asthma, development of allergies from exposure to lawn chemicals and pesticides.
- If you have a well and use lawn chemicals you are poisoning your own water.
- Pesticides and chemicals applied by lawn services have heavier application rates than for agriculture.
- Golf courses use millions of pounds of herbicides & pesticides and with heavy watering, contribute to groundwater contamination.
- Will make your pets ill, predisposing them to cancer and a host of other diseases.
- Runoff from suburban lawns does not dissipate. Instead it persists in the environment for decades.
- Catch basins in urban areas and ponds, streams and lakes in rural areas – and finally, the ocean, are all polluted by pesticides and lawn care chemicals.
- Lawn care products or pesticides you will kill beneficial insects such as earthworms, bees, butterflies, praying mantises as well as birds, frogs and other mammals. This will be from either direct contact (bees and insects) or indirect (birds or other wildlife) or from water runoff.
- Honeybee colony collapse is directly related to the use of pesticides over the past 50 years.
- Insects have developed a resistance to these chemicals as have weeds. Manufacturers have to develop stronger chemicals or mix them with older ones which haven’t been in use recently.
- Pesticides and insecticides don’t just ‘go away’. Some stay in the soil for long periods of time – years!
- Children, because of their developing brains, muscles, bones – have a tenfold exposure over adults.
- Pesticide drift from wind and rains can bring chemicals onto your property and into your home.
- Of the 30 most commonly used pesticides, fungicides or insecticides:
- 19 are linked with cancer
- 13 linked with birth defects
- 21 with reproductive effects
- 26 with liver or kidney damage
- 15 neurotoxicity
- 11 with endocrine (hormone) disruption
- 17 are found in groundwater
- 23 have the ability TO leach into groundwater
- 11 are toxic to bees
- 16 are toxic to birds
You have to ask yourself: Is it worth it to have the ideal ‘golf course’ lawn, an insect-free yard or perfect vegetables – to put my family and pets and even my neighbors at risk for a premature death from cancer, increased chances of neurological, reproductive disorders or organ failure or allergies years from now? Is it worth it to expose my family, even those not yet born, to an uncertain fate from exposure to chemicals which is not even necessary?