Food Truth Freedom

Your food, where it comes from & what's in it

If You Use Pesticides, READ THIS!

wrningAmericans apply approximately 75 MILLION POUNDS of lawn care products annually; pesticides and insecticides used on your lawn  around your home.  They include ROUND-UP, Scott’s Weed and Feed, Sevin Dust, Bug B Gon, Triazicide, Spectricide, Ortho, Bayer products, Azatrine (2-4-D) which is a component in Agent Orange, Scott’s Winterizer and many others.  They are POISON and studies have proven the following:

  • There is NO safe ‘chemical’ pesticide or herbicide
  • Are known carcinogens (cause cancer)
  • Are hormone and endocrine system disruptors.
  • All are neurotoxins –  meaning toxic to the brain, causing brain cell death and affecting brain function.
  • Recent studies show pesticides to be a direct cause of Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s, ALS and other neurological disorders & shrinkage of the brain.
  • Can be passed from pregnant mother to fetus causing birth defects or abortion
  • Cause allergic reactions
  • Children are especially susceptible to neurological damage, increased rates of cancer, ADD, asthma, development of allergies from exposure to lawn chemicals and pesticides.
  • If you have a well and use lawn chemicals you are poisoning your own water.
  • Pesticides and chemicals applied by lawn services have heavier application rates than for agriculture!
  • Golf courses use millions of pounds of herbicides & pesticides and with heavy watering, contribute to groundwater contamination.
  • Electric companies, railroads and municipalities also contribute to environmental & groundwater pollution with herbicide spraying of right-of-ways, parks, rail and roadsides.  Corporations also use these chemicals around their buildings to keep their lawns weed free. The list is endless!
  • Will make your pets ill, predisposing them to cancer and a host of other diseases.
  • Runoff from suburban lawns does not dissipate.  Instead it persists in the environment for decades.
  • Catch basins in urban areas and ponds, streams and lakes in rural areas – and finally, the ocean, are all polluted by pesticides and lawn care chemicals.
  • Each time you use lawn care products or pesticides you WILL kill beneficial insects such as earthworms, bees, butterflies, praying mantises as well as birds, frogs and other mammals.  This will be from either direct contact (bees and insects) or indirect (birds or other wildlife) or from water runoff.  Birds will eat chemicals that are in pelletized form thinking it’s food.
  • Honeybee colony collapse is directly related to the use of pesticides over the past 50 years.
  • Insects have developed a resistance to these chemicals as have weeds.  Manufacturers have to develop stronger chemicals or mix them with older ones which haven’t been in use recently.
  • Pesticides and insecticides don’t just ‘go away’.  Some stay in the soil for long periods of time – years!
  • Children, because of their developing brains, muscles, bones – have a tenfold exposure over adults.
  • Women pregnant from May to September have highest risks of birth defects for their unborn child if they are exposed to pesticides and lawn care products.
  • Pesticide drift from wind and rains can bring chemicals on your property and into your home.
  • Of the 30 most commonly used pesticides
    • 19 are linked with cancer
    • 13 linked with birth defects
    • 21 with reproductive effects
    • 26 with liver or kidney damage
    • 15 neurotoxicity
    • 11 with endocrine (hormone) disruption
    • 17 are found in groundwater
    • 23 have the ability TO leach into groundwater
    • 11 are toxic to bees
    • 16 are toxic to birds

You have to ask yourself:

  • Is it WORTH IT to have the ideal ‘golf course’ lawn, an insect-free yard or perfect vegetables – to put my family and pets and even my neighbors at risk for a premature death from cancer,  increased chances of neurological, reproductive disorders or organ failure or allergies years from now?  Is it WORTH IT to expose my family, even those not yet born, to an uncertain fate from exposure to chemicals which is not even necessary?

 

My answer to that would be NO!  What would yours be?

Further reading:

http://www.panna.org/your-health/home-pets-garden

http://www.panna.org/sites/default/files/Pets_Action_Guide.pdf

http://www.beyondpesticides.org/lawn/factsheets/30health.pdf

Advertisements

Author: B T Hylle

Humanitarian, environmental and food activist, blogging on current societal issues. My blogs cover what's in our food and how it affects our health; the effects of our seemingly small actions regarding chemical and pesticide use in and around our homes and its impact on our Earth.

Comments are closed.