Food Truth Freedom

Your food, where it comes from & what's in it

Indian Children’s Poisoning: Monocroptophos Pesticide Exposure

Over 20 children die in India from highly toxic pesticide poisoning. PHOTO:  AP, Aftab Alam Siddiqui

Over 20 children die in India from highly toxic pesticide poisoning. PHOTO: AP, Aftab Alam Siddiqui

It is unclear at this point what caused the deaths of over 20 Indian children last week but officials are starting to suspect pesticide monocrotophos  poisoning.

Results are not clear as of this writing, but the suspect pesticide, monocroptophos, is highly toxic to humans and mammals.  It is of the class called organophosphates which number about 250 in the world of pesticides.

The children exhibited symptoms of pesticide poisoning:   nausea, headaches, twitching, trembling, excessive salivation and tearing, inability to breathe because of paralysis of the diaphragm and convulsions before dying.

Developed during World War 2, organophosphates – one of the most well known is sarin gas, a nerve gas – began to show promise as a use for controlling pests. Incidentally, these pesticides kill insects in the same was as they kill humans: complete nervous system failure and subsequent death.

This particular pesticide has been banned in 1988 in the United States but is still available worldwide.

Know that these poor children suffered a painful death because of negligence on the part of someone.

UPDATE:  Monocroptophos poisoning confirmed.

READ MORE:

Monocroptophos information

Advertisements

Author: B T Hylle

Humanitarian, environmental and food activist, blogging on current societal issues. My blogs cover what's in our food and how it affects our health; the effects of our seemingly small actions regarding chemical and pesticide use in and around our homes and its impact on our Earth.

Comments are closed.