Food Truth Freedom

Your food, where it comes from & what's in it


Pesticide Use Linked To Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s & ALS

Pesticide use has been linked with increased rates of Alzheimer's, Parkinson's and ALS.

Pesticide use has been linked to increased rates of Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s and ALS.

Pesticides are neurotoxins (neu·ro·tox·in: a poison that acts on the nervous system) which overstimulate brain cells, causing miscommunication between them and eventually, cell death. This is how pesticides kill insects: the creature’s brain and nervous system becomes so scrambled it shuts down and the insect dies.

Definitive links exist between pesticide use and the rise of Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s disease as well as Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis – ALS – or known as Lou Gehrig’s Disease.

Pesticides are classified as those used to control insects, weeds and fungi and are known as insecticides, herbicides or fumigants.

Organophosphates are commonly used on food, in household pesticide and insecticides as well as lawn and garden chemicals. Organophosphates  have been shown to contribute to Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s and ALS.

You might know some of these pesticides by their brand names:  Sevin Dust, Malathion (used in mosquito control)  Round-Up (glyphosate) and Diazinon.

Elevated serum levels of pesticides in humans, along with a rise in Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s diseases, point to a link in neurological damage in those consistently exposed.

Though most Alzheimer’s research has focused on genetic factors, scientists have found that only half the cases are linked to heredity.  The other half increasingly points to use of pesticides in past decades.  DDT, banned over 40 years ago, remains in the body and has been found in about 75-80% of the population.  In Alzheimer’s patients the levels of DDE, (DDT when broken down) were 4.18 times higher.

Parkinson’s disease is the second most common neurological disorder.  Nerve cells in the brain regulating dopamine – which controls movement – are damaged to the point where they cannot produce the chemical.  Less than 1% of Parkinson’s cases can be attributed to genetics and researchers are finding a solid link to exposure to pesticides.  Scientists in the UK in studies ranging from 1983-2005, found a substantial link to pesticide and herbicide exposure in Parkinson’s patients.

  • Research conducted in the U.S. found that those consistently exposed to low levels of pesticides and herbicides were twice likely to develop Parkinson’s.
  • A Harvard study found that long-term pesticide exposure, even at low levels, shows a 70% increase in the disease over those who had limited contact.
  • Gardeners who routinely use pesticides such as Sevin Dust,  are 50% more likely to develop Parkinson’s than those who grow organic gardens.

Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) is a progressive neurodegenerative disease, affecting motor control and is always fatal.  Over time patients lose motor control and in later stages, may become totally paralyzed.

Pesticides cause oxidative stress which in turn can lead to an array of health issues:  Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s, ALS, cancer, chronic fatigue, heart and blood vessel disorders, atherosclerosis, heart failure, heart attack and inflammatory diseases.

With mounting evidence against pesticides, isn’t it time you think twice before using them?

There are no “safe” pesticides.

Read More:

Food Truth Freedom:  If You Use Pesticides, READ THIS!

Beyond Pesticides:  Pesticide Induced Diseases.

PubMed.gov: Pesticide Exposure, Parkinson’s &  Neurodegenerative Diseases


Indian Children’s Poisoning: Monocroptophos Pesticide Exposure

Over 20 children die in India from highly toxic pesticide poisoning. PHOTO:  AP, Aftab Alam Siddiqui

Over 20 children die in India from highly toxic pesticide poisoning. PHOTO: AP, Aftab Alam Siddiqui

It is unclear at this point what caused the deaths of over 20 Indian children last week but officials are starting to suspect pesticide monocrotophos  poisoning.

Results are not clear as of this writing, but the suspect pesticide, monocroptophos, is highly toxic to humans and mammals.  It is of the class called organophosphates which number about 250 in the world of pesticides.

The children exhibited symptoms of pesticide poisoning:   nausea, headaches, twitching, trembling, excessive salivation and tearing, inability to breathe because of paralysis of the diaphragm and convulsions before dying.

Developed during World War 2, organophosphates – one of the most well known is sarin gas, a nerve gas – began to show promise as a use for controlling pests. Incidentally, these pesticides kill insects in the same was as they kill humans: complete nervous system failure and subsequent death.

This particular pesticide has been banned in 1988 in the United States but is still available worldwide.

Know that these poor children suffered a painful death because of negligence on the part of someone.

UPDATE:  Monocroptophos poisoning confirmed.

READ MORE:

Monocroptophos information


Indian Children Die After Ingesting Poison

A sick girl sits next to her grandfather after she ate contaminated meals at school in Patna, India

Photo: Adnan Abidi, REUTERS

The poisoning deaths of over 20 children in the Bihar state of India this week are still a mystery.

CNN’s article erroneously describes the poison as organophosphorus, which is incorrect.   There is no chemical called by the  name organophosphorus  but it is actually a group of insecticides – organophophates. This is a common selection of pesticides that number at least 250 in the Pesticide Action Network’s list of organophophates. Ingestion of a large amount of these chemicals causes nervous system breakdown:  seizures, coma and death.

Emerging third world countries are using chemicals which have been banned in the United States for decades.   For instance, Diazinon, a potent insecticide, could be the culprit.  It, like many other OPs, can cause severe neurological symptoms – even death, if ingested in a sufficient quantity.

We will not know until further testing reveals the source of the food and the probable poison.  An additional factor in the deaths of the Indian children might be that the oil used to cook their meal in may have been tainted or bad.

Further testing is forthcoming which will surely narrow down what caused these deaths:  the origins of the food, what chemicals, insecticides or pesticides were used in the region; the route from farm to the school will be scrutinized.

SEE ALSO:

PAN Organophosphorus use list

CDC Organophates faq sheet